Electrical outlets can be easy to overlook, despite how often we use and depend on them in our everyday lives. You may only really consider your outlets when they stop working. However, if your outlets are experiencing any problems, it’s best to replace them before serious harm occurs to your electrical system, appliances, or home. There are several signs that indicate it’s time for an outlet replacement. If you notice any of the following, contact Professional Electric Inc. for assistance from our experienced electricians.
The Outlet Is Not Working
If your outlet is no longer powering your electronics, it must be replaced. However, if the other outlets in the room are also not working, the issue may be a tripped breaker. Make sure to check before you prepare for an outlet replacement.
Burn Marks or Melting
Look for blemishes on the outlet faceplate, outlets, and the wall. Discoloration and melting are significant red flags and indicate short-circuiting and sparking. If your outlets are in this condition, they should not be used until you completely replace them.
Cracking and Chipping
Cosmetic blemishes on your outlets, like chips and cracks, cause concern because they enable dust and debris to build up inside the outlet. This debris can act as kindling when a plug is inserted, potentially creating an electrical arc that can cause sparks and fires. It’s best to avoid using chipped or cracked outlets until you’ve replaced them.
Plugs Fall Out Easily
Loose plugs may seem more annoying than anything, but the looseness indicates wear and tear that can also lead to sparking and electrical arcing. If your plugs fall out easily, it’s time for an outlet replacement so you can have plugs that work consistently.
The Outlet is Hot to the Touch
Outlets become hot to the touch when worn, damaged, or when the wiring is incorrectly installed. Any wiring or electric current malfunction can cause an electrical fire, so you don’t want to leave anything up to chance and instead replace your warm outlet immediately.
You Smell Smoke or See Sparks
If you see or smell smoke or sparks burning near your outlets or even when you plug in an appliance, don’t ignore the signs. Contact your electrician at Professional Electric Inc. right away to have your outlet inspected and potentially replaced.
Your Outlets Are Not Grounded
If your outlets are not grounded, they only have two prongs or holes rather than three. This outdated design should be replaced with a three-prong, grounded outlet. If you have never arranged for an outlet replacement in your home, it’s recommended that you do so as soon as possible.
If a device’s power is flickering, it may mean the outlet can no longer keep up with the demand. This may be due to wear and tear, damage, or an outdated design. By replacing these outlets, you can prevent short-circuiting and other damage to your belongings.
Need a Reliable and Experienced Electrician? Call Professional Electric Inc.
Our family-owned and operated business has earned the trust of the Crofton community since 1990. Our team of friendly and expert electricians is licensed, bonded, and insured. From electric panel upgrades to lighting installations, and all other electrical services and repairs in between, you can count on Professional Electric to get it done safely and skillfully. Further, our dedicated electricians are standing by 24/7 for your emergency electrical situations. We proudly serve customers in Annapolis, Severna Park, Crofton, Gambrills, Odenton, Bowie, Stevensville, Mitchellville, Millersville, Cape St Claire, the surrounding Southern Maryland area, and beyond. To find out more information on our wide range of electrical services, or to get a free estimate from our master electricians, contact us at our website or call 410‐451‐8085, 301‐390‐7620, or 443‐871‐1492. For more ways to stay connected, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.