Skip Navigation

3 Signs You Need Aluminum Wiring Repairs

3 Signs You Need Aluminum Wiring Repairs

These three signs can indicate that aluminum wiring repairs are necessary.

Aluminum electrical wiring is useful for some applications, but the material typically isn’t used for residential wiring. Still, a copper shortage in the ’60s and ’70s led to widespread aluminum wiring use in homes throughout the U.S. Although this seemed like a reasonable alternative to copper at the time, using aluminum wiring in homes can result in numerous complications and safety hazards. Homeowners with older homes may need aluminum wiring repairs or a full aluminum to copper changeover to keep their properties safe. These three signs and symptoms can indicate that homeowners may need aluminum wiring repairs. 

Flickering Lights Can Indicate the Need for Aluminum Wiring Repairs 

Flickering lights can be a sign of all sorts of electrical issues, and they may indicate that your home needs aluminum wiring repairs. Aluminum wiring in homes can be prone to loose connections, which can cause significant safety hazards. Loose connections can manifest as lights that flicker when they first turn on, with the flickering tapering off as the connections warm up.

Consider Aluminum Wiring Repairs ASAP if You Notice a Burnt Smell

While some aspects of failing aluminum wiring can be difficult to detect, one common symptom of deterioration is the smell of burning plastic. Any burnt smells without an obvious source should be a cause for concern, especially if your home is wired with aluminum. As these wires age and deteriorate, they can become prone to overheating. This can burn or melt plastic outlets and other nearby components. Contact a trusted electrician as soon as possible if you smell burnt plastic or other worrisome odors coming from your outlets, switches, or breaker boxes.

Look for Switch Faceplates and Outlets That are Hot to the Touch

Aluminum wiring that has seen better days can overheat and melt nearby components, but you may see signs of a problem before anything melts or burns. Outlets and switch faceplates that are hot or unusually warm to the touch can be an indication that your home’s wiring needs repair. While warm faceplates are a helpful sign that something is awry within your home’s walls, the unfortunate truth is that many electrical systems fail with little to no warning. It’s essential to have a reliable electrician in your corner in the event of an electrical mishap, and Professional Electric is standing by to help.

Need a Reliable and Experienced Electrician? Call Professional Electric Inc.

Our family-owned and operated business has earned the trust of the Crofton community since 1990. Our team of friendly and expert electricians is licensed, bonded, and insured. From electric panel upgrades to lighting installations, and all other electrical services and repairs in between, you can count on Professional Electric to get it done safely and skillfully. Further, our dedicated electricians are standing by 24/7 for your emergency electrical situations.We proudly serve customers in Annapolis, Severna Park, Crofton, Gambrills, Odenton, Bowie, Stevensville, Mitchellville, Millersville, Cape St Claire, the surrounding Southern Maryland, and beyond. To find out more information on our wide range of electrical services, or to get a free estimate from our master electricians, contact us at our website or call 410‐451‐8085, 301‐390‐7620, or 443‐871‐1492. For more ways to stay connected, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.

This entry was posted on Friday, October 1st, 2021 at 3:36 pm. Both comments and pings are currently closed.